Thursday, August 23, 2012

Peach Turnovers & Ginger Ice-Cream


I made peach turnovers and ginger ice-cream for breakfast for my brother, who is visiting briefly from California, and who is also my supplier for things American. As awesome as Bangsan Market is, some things can only be gotten stateside. Like buttermilk tablets and golden raisins. And some things are just way cheaper there (less than half the price here). Like vanilla beans and Grand Marnier liqueur. So I wrote out a very detailed list of the things I wanted, and ordered him, I mean, asked him to get them for me. But apparently, some things are unavailable at “normal” American supermarkets. Like tapioca powder and mincemeat. And some things get confiscated at customs. Like limes and pears (I know, I know, it’s illegal. But it was worth a shot.). But he tried, and I didn’t (and probably never will) reimburse him. So this’ll have to do.


The turnovers were quite good, even though I used a rather dry and un-sweet peach (a great way to use them up, actually). The two smaller ones are leftover nectarine turnovers, but I don’t think my brother could tell the difference…


The ginger ice-cream wasn’t as pungent as I’d expected. I pounded the ginger into pulp, but some annoying little pieces still got through and made the texture kind of grainy.



Anyway, as a result of the excellent additions my brother made to my stock of supplies and gadgets, I had to add another basket to the Babylonian Baking Tower. I bought the first basket at the local dollar store, and it turned out to be the last one there. So, I had to travel to the biggest dollar store in Seoul to get the next two, on two separate occasions. Yes, I was that crazy woman carrying a basket around town for no apparent reason. To top it all off, I randomly ran into an old friend I hadn’t seen in over five years. She said I looked “well.” 

2 comments: