Saturday, November 24, 2012

Another Feast: Quiche Lorraine, Red Currant-Raspberry Lattice Pie, Red Wine Ice-Cream, and a Surprise!


I’m branching out; I’ve been cooking more meals lately. Things are becoming kind of extravagant. And really *fUn*


***


The Appetizer: Quiche Lorraine
Very simple, very classic.
A scattering of chopped onions, a layer of bacon, another of shredded gruyere (yes, I did end up buying it!). Then filled with an egg-milk-cream custard, and topped with more gruyere.

Perfect!
I’ve never had quiche Lorraine before, but I thought it tasted authentic. Hehe~ 
I think it was all the cheese…



The Surprise Main Course: Poulet Galantine
Yes, I did it. I deboned a chicken! Oh.Yes.I.Did. I was going to do a simple roast, but fate had other plans (perhaps I’m being too dramatic). So, I was all cozied up in bed several nights ago, watching cooking clips on Youtube, when I stumbled upon Jacques Pepin’s brilliant video clip. He debones a chicken in like five minutes (and claims that it shouldn’t take more than a minute or two!). I was totally mesmerized! I literally jumped out of bed; I needed to get me a chicken. There’s a 24 hour supermarket not far away, maybe the buses are still running, I could have a middle-of-the-night snack… Then I stopped myself. Experience has taught me that anything you begin after midnight is NOT A GOOD IDEA and is destined for FAILURE. Groggy eyes make for upset pies (literally).

I had to wait a couple of days to get my hands on a chicken, and it took me the better part of an hour to debone it. Not nearly as easy as M. Pepin made it seem… But there was not a bone left in that chicken, not even any cartilage. Ha! And the process has cured me of any squeamishness I had about touching raw meat.

Deboned and stuffed.

 Trussed and herb-buttered.

Roasted and eaten!

(Triumphant grin:)



The Dessert: Red Currant-Raspberry Lattice Pie with Red Wine Ice-Cream
Raspberries and red currants – what a gorgeous combo!

 A lattice top, so the beautiful bright red can peek through.

 With a scoop of red wine ice-cream.
The wine ice-cream was very… interesting. It sort of made you think (what am I eating??), and was just appropriately boozy. What a nice way to wind down a scrumptious meal!

(Satisfied tummy-pat :D)

3 comments:

  1. 보면서순간침이꼴딱넘어갔어요히히

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this the feast you were planning to cook? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup! I have a few more coming up, but I think I need a wee break from baking...

    ReplyDelete